Sunday, March 27, 2011

Eureffinreka

One issue I've had trouble with came from within church.

I grew up thinking that I was precious to God, that I was His treasure and He needed me as much as I needed Him. I learned that in preschool.

Through Youth Group services, one theme that repeatedly springs up is this: you are worthless, God does not need you, He will go on with His plan without you.

Hypocrisy? In church? The skeptics will have a field day with this one.

I was confused. I was doubtful. But the answers do come around.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.
-Psalms 51

I am not worthless in God's eyes, but I must make myself worthless. But why degrade myself to such a level of insignificance?

Because the deeper the pain, the greater the comfort of God.

I saw Mike's analogy truly effective. Imagine 2 people. One person just came back from a steak dinner, while the other hasn't eaten in weeks. There is a rack of ribs on the table, but who is more satisfied by it?

By becoming worthless, by letting go of my pride, by truly humbling myself, I can experience God in such a more marvelous way.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
-2 Corinthians 4:7.

It's all becoming more clear to me.

Because God's strength is made perfect through my weakness, yes, I am worthless to the world.

But God has made me more precious than anything the world could ever offer.

No comments: